Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Boundries

Boundries are a funny thing.  Like fences - some are short, with openings where you can see in, others solid - tall and protective.  Some are just simple - drawn in the sand or invisible, your own personal bubble of space that others aren't supposed to invade.

Is it instinct that we protect our 2x2 space in this world and all in it -whether it be cave, flock, home, child? We are constantly told and reminded about personal boundries: create a work/life balence, 'Joey don't stand so close to people, no one wants you in their space',  lock your doors, open your heart and mind..... Where exactly do you draw those lines?

I suppose that is what so many of us are trying to figure out.  How do I draw a line with my work versus home life?  Not just time, but sharing personal stories, venting, who do I let in when, where?  Finding that balance - when do I close the laptop, knowing i have a deadline. but also knowing my husband is getting ready to head out on travel and just wanting to spend my time snuggling with him instead.

Work versus life seems easiest to figure out - at some point while I do need my paycheck, my family is ultimately my priority and I can only do so much.  But what about those other boundries we face - friends.... with exes/children/stepkids, with social media... it can get very muddled very fast... If only it was as easy as tying a string across your room or drawing a line in the sand....



No comments:

Post a Comment